Chrome asks for Gnome Keyring password????

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:21:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 15:54 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Mon June 20 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > Chrome is a Gnome app. So is Firefox. So is Thunderbird. The fact that
> > you're using KDE is irrelevant. The apps use the Gnome libraries and the
> > Gnome keyring.
> >
> > As to why it only happens with VNC, I've no idea. Do you mean it happens
> > with each new VNC session, or with each new instance of Chrome? I use
> > Evolution under KDE and have to go through *two* password checks when
> > starting it in a new (local) login session, but within the session I can
> > stop and restart Evo with no further checks.
> >
> > (BTW with F14 it used to be just one check. This is progress?)
> >
> Ahh... I did not know that Chrome was a Gnome app. It appears that I can
> close and restart Chrome within the same session and not get prompted. When
> I go home and start Chrome on the local console, it does not prompt me for
> a password, but the next day when I log in from remote (SSH tunnel still
> going from the previous session) it will prompt me for a password again.
>
> Basically the steps to reproduce are as follows:
> 1) Log in from remote -- password request
> 2) Close programs, close viewer, go home.
> 3) Start Chrome on the local console -- NO password request
> 4) Go to work, log in from remote, password request.
>
> Almost like logging in on the local console is clearing a "cookie" or
> something.

Not really. The way you describe it, your home console is always logged
on, so you don't need to be authenticated again. OTOH your remote
session via SSH is logged out when you go home (even though the SSH
connection remains open), so when you log in again next day you have to
present new credentials. The two sessions (home and remote) are
completely distinct and separate as far as keyring access is concerned.

This is consistent with what I'm saying.

poc