Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Mon Jun 20 21:00:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57:24PM -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:

> On 06/20/2011 09:44 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > There is a paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3 which I have not
> > seen discussed on this list.

> I too noted the mouse deprecation in Gnome 3.  Besides
> alienating a large group of users who simply prefer using
> the mouse over the keyboard when there is a choice, ....

Do you people actually work with Gnome 3.

If you are a versatile mouse user I suspect that you can
actually work just as fast with the mouse as with the keyboard.
Jab the pointer in the upper left corner, click on an app in the
dash or swerve to the right and click on 'applications', click on the
app you need if you see it immediately in this monstrous platoon
of icons, or go even further to the right and select a category
(Acessories, Games, etc) and click on an icon there to open an
app. When the app is open you jab the mouse pointer in the upper
left corner again, select the app with the mouse pointer and drag
it to a workspace, etc. You have everything you ever had, point
and click, drag and drop, just in a slightly different desktop
arragement. And of course the apps themselves are just as completely
mouse oriented as they ever were.

Gnome 3 is only keyboard oriented in that it lets you type (or start
typing) the name of an app in the search bar (and that you can
access the overview by pressing the windows key or Alt-F1).

The Gnome developers missed a great opportunity to make keyboard
work easier by not implementing the use of the 'arrow keys' to navigate
the icons in the Dash and the icons in the applications overview for
example (like Ubuntu did with Unity which actually offers keyboard
users more versatility).

Things like the use of 'Alt-F2' and other keyboard shortcuts were
available a long time already.

So on the whole there is no paradigm of keyboard use and Gnome 3 is
certainly not advertised as such. Read the 'Desktop Help' under the
ring buoy icon and pay no attention to 'misunderstood marketing jargon
and hype' and 'biased reporting of opinioted users'.
Experience it honestly for yourself.

Alexander