gnome does not start under realvnc...

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jun 21 11:58:02 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 04:19 PM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded yesterday from Fedora 14 -> 15, and now I am having problems
> with my desktop:
> Gnome does not start under RealVnc (Enterprise edition, 4.6.1).
>
> What I get is a big image, and a message "oh no! something has gone
> wrong", with a prompt to logout and try again.
> Looking at the xsession errors, the only crucial that I see is that
> metacity re-spawns too quickly.
> And indeed, trying to run metacity under a terminal, results in an
> immediate crash.
>
> Any ideas? How can I fix this?
>
> My server is a remote one, always reached through VNC, so I have no
> alternatives for the time being...

I too have a system that was updated from F14 to F15.

It didn't have tigervnc-server installed on it.  So, I just installed it
and connected to it via the RealVNC app for Android on my Android
Tablet.  I had no problem.

Of course the GNOME session is "fallback" mode and not GNOME shell.

Would you consider trying the tigervnc-server instead of RealVnc server?