F14->F15 Laptop Upgrade: Gnome 3 questions/confusions and other issues

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Jun 21 18:36:01 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I have two boxes that run Fedora: a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop and a
home-assembled Intel Dual Core desktop.

I generally lag to doing upgrades by two weeks to a month. So far, I've
only upgraded the laptop. A bit tortuous.

The laptop wouldn't boot from the installation CD, so I went with a
network upgrade; it took a while ...

Gnome 3:
I join the chorus of peeves about Gnome 3; I lost my setup that gave me a
summary view of system health (swap size, CPU/RAM usage) and quickstart
buttons on the panel.

But I'm singing the same song everyone else is; I'll accept the imbalance
in the hopes that it is short-lived.

I've read the release-notes a bit and see that there is supposed to be a
dashboard on the left-side (don't see it; can't find it; can't figure out
how to activate it). Also, no search window on the desktop (or hasn't that
functionality been implemented?)

I got gnome-tweak-tool and fiddled with it until it crashed.

8-[

But I got my desktop icons back (Trash can, Gnome terminal, Home, etc.),
that from my understanding of the release notes I wasn't supposed to have.

8-O

Other issues:

I like the WiFi Radar.

8-)

I move files between my laptop and my Windows desktop at work using a USB
flash drive. When the flashdrive is plugged into the F15 laptop, the date
and time stamp appears correctly. When plugged into the Windows desktop,
the date/time stamp on the USB drive now appears to be in Universal time.

8-\

A little confused but still managing to function; much thanks for your
comments and suggestions in advance,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com