Directory name completion

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:44:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 12:42 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 11:13 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > The circumstance that I try it and it does nothing. There is no
> > ambiguity in the prefix and typing the <tab> has no effect whatever (no
> > list of alternatives, no beep, no tab character inserted).
> >
> > This is happening on two separate F15 installations, both being upgrades
> > from F14.
> >
> > poc
> >

>   Some thoughts ..
>
>   1) Can you confirm the "disable-completion" option is not somehow
> turned on somewhere ?

It's not. At least there's nothing about it in /etc/inputrc and I don't
have a ~/.inputrc file. I don't see an obvious way to discover what the
current readline settings are (they aren't Shell variables). Presumably
it's in some manual but I can't see it.

>   2) Also in shell can you do : complete -p
>
>       I get:
>
>       $  complete -p
>       complete -o filenames -F __udisks udisks

$ complete -p
complete -o filenames -F __udisks udisks

>       You can remove things with complete -r <foo>

>  3) Also is this the same for all users (including root) or just user
> poc ? That may offer a clue if it works for some users ...

It appears to be the same for root. I don't have any other local users
so I created one and tried it, with exactly the same result.

It's looking more and more like a real bug.

poc