Linux util to handle video input from firewire (iLink) port

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 01:48:33 UTC 2011

Tried coriander.
It does not recognize the presence of my old
Sony DCR-TRV330 as being connected. Which is
(now) understandable, as corainder is not written
to handle such cameras.
Ditto with dvgrab - does not detect camera.
Tried gwenview - does not appear to have any hooks for
downloading from camera.

My firewire is:
# lspci | grep -i 1394
00:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

The 1394 device is visible as
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 251, 0 Jun 20 03:19 /dev/fw0

I am trying to transfer many 8mm tapes to disk before they become
unreadable.

What other tool can I use?