HD 1TB or greater Fedora 15 64bit (SOLVED)

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:02:04 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 09:14:36 Gregory Hosler wrote:
> The "green" ones will auto-spin
> down when not in use. Saves energy, more importantly, runs a heck of a lot
> cooler overall. negative is that there can be a delay as it powers up
> after being away from the drive for a period of time. The cooler running
> temp more that justifies that for me. However, your priorities might be
> different from mine. :-)

Depending on your usecase, you may end up spinning them up/down every fifteen
minutes, which can be bad for the drive, and is also very annoying for the
user.

However, a simple touching of some file by the cron job (every minute) fixes
this, and the drive is always up and running. I have two of those 1.5 TB
external USB WD green drives, they work 24/7 without issues for two years and
counting... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko