Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:06:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Darryl L. Pierce <dpierce at redhat.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> But does Fedora 15 "require high end hardware"? No, it doesn't. You can
> run other desktops, such as XFCE (which you mention as well), and still
> run all of the same apps.
>
> So while Gnome 3 may require better video hardware than was available on
> an eight year old machine, that doesn't mean Fedora 15 itself requires
> that better hardware.

I've thus far been a lurker on this thread but now I'm curious...

One thing to think about is defining what exactly is "high end hardware"?

Unless something has changed I remember reading a thread where Fedora
15 is the first release where 512MB of memory is not enough for an
install, which means unless I upgrade, my netbook is stuck at F14.

I'm not saying that most systems even 4+ years ago will not have 1GB
or more, but I think it's better to talk specifics rather than
generalities.

Thanks,
Richard