Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jun 22 13:34:48 UTC 2011

Am 22.06.2011 15:29, schrieb Darryl L. Pierce:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:16:51PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 22.06.2011 14:09, schrieb Darryl L. Pierce:
>>> But does Fedora 15 "require high end hardware"? No, it doesn't. You can
>>> run other desktops, such as XFCE (which you mention as well), and still
>>> run all of the same apps.
>>
>> to believe you can force users permanently switch their Desktop Environment
>> without lose them for the whole platform is very naive!
>
> I never said that we wouldn't lose users over the switch. You'll
> _ALWAYS_ have people who will jump ship if you rock the boat even a
> little.
>
> What I said is that Fedora 15 does not LOCK THEM OUT of using Fedora.
> They can 1) use their old video hardware with Gnome 3 (and let it fall
> back to working like Gnome 2), they can 2) use a similar desktop (Xfce)
> and still use all of the same apps or 3) they can upgrade their video
> hardware to something minimally more recent than what they have (since
> Gnome 3 will work with hardware produced within the last 4 years or so).
>
> <snip>
>
>> and yes i am one of the geeks playing often with their system, but on invasive changes
>> even for me is the fun really fast over!
>
> For someone that conservative about their desktop I don't image they
> would be taking on an upgrade like this since it _does_ change some
> fundamentals.
>
> It's equally (or even moreso) unreasonable to expect everybody to be
> held back on innovation by those few who can't (or won't) upgrade.

innovation is not change everything everytime because somebody is funny
look how long many unix tools and paradigms are worked well and do it
now and for me there are much too peopole out there starting throwing
all of them away and i bet NOTHING of the crap which is invited today
will have a long-term future of 10,20,30 years

in these days is "innovation" often a phrase for developers which are too
lazy or too foolish optimize existing things and thinking writinig all from
scratch and start debugging again by zero is the solution, what they forget
is that all the crap they produce has a lot of bugs, but most of them are
worked out in the old code and often re-introduced with the "new model of dev"