Removing NetworkManager results in very slow boot

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Jun 22 16:32:11 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 11:26 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 22/06/11 11:15, Steven Stern wrote:
>> On 06/21/2011 09:43 PM, john wendel wrote:
>>> I removed the NetworkManager stuff from systemd, since I don't want to
>>> run it. Now there's a long boot delay while DBUS tries repeatedly to
>>> talk to NetworkManager.
>>>
>>> Obviously, I did something wrong. How should I have stopped NetworkManager?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> sudo /sbin/service chkconfig NetworkManager off
>> sudo /sbin/service NetworkManager stop
>
>          I did the first two steps above and it appears that F-15 might
>          boot in little more than 30 seconds if it did not stop in
>          Plymouth for two minutes. I don't think I even need Plymouth do
>          I, since I don't boot in the graphic mode?
>
>> sudo yum remove NetworkManager
>>

>          I didn't remove NetworkManager yet, don't know it that will take
>          care of the problem?
>
>          As it is I have to "connect" manually and then mount my NFS to
>          to get a usable system.
>
>          2-1/2 minutes is a long time to boot, even worse than the 1 min.
>          24 sec. with NetworkManager running.
>
>          How can I stop the pause at "Plymouth?" I did not find it listed
>          under chkconfig.
>
>          Bob

Edit /etc/grub.conf to make plymouth less obscure.

1) Change "timeout" to 10:  timeout=10
2) remove rhgb from the kernel line (it's right before "quiet".
Sample:	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.38.8-32.fc15.i686.PAE ro
root=/dev/mapper/vg_sdsdesk-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_sdsdesk/lv_root
rd_LVM_LV=vg_sdsdesk/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us  quiet
	initrd /initramfs-2.6.38.8-32.fc15.i686.PAE.img

--
-- Steve