DNS Problem Maintaining Domain on Fedora VM

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 11:56:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 07:06:55 -0400
Tod Thomas wrote:

> I cannot get
> Network Manager to keep the domain name so I'm constantly having to add
> it at the end of my host names which is a little annoying.

In theory you can make NM stop fooling with the resolv.conf
file by putting PEERDNS="no" in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
file. Then you can just manually edit resolv.conf to have
the correct search path (after rebooting to make sure all the
resolv.conf editing is really finished).

The other "big hammer" approach which I have had to use on
some machines is to edit /etc/resolv.conf manually, then
do "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf" - that makes the file
"immutable" and even root can't write on it anymore.