DNS Problem Maintaining Domain on Fedora VM

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 23 16:41:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 07:06 -0400, Tod Thomas wrote:
> I have a FC14 VM running on a Win7 box using Virtual Box.  I cannot get
> Network Manager to keep the domain name so I'm constantly having to add
> it at the end of my host names which is a little annoying.  I've googled
> around and there are a number of suggestions but none of them are
> definitive.   Is there a single solution I can use in Network Manager
> that I'm just not trying?

Well, generally, the DNS suffix is determined by doing a reverse DNS
lookup on your IP, and supplying on in the configuration is only needed
when that cannot be done (i.e. because you have broken DNS - which could
mean no DNS server providing the answer, or you want to provide a
different answer).

So, perhaps it's a different problem that you need to fix:  DNS, itself
(making suitable entries in the hosts file, or records in the DNS
server, or specifying a DNS server that can answer the query).

Or, the DHCP server configuration (making sure the right domain name is
supplied to the client).

That is how NetworkManager will be adding what it thinks is the hostname
to the resolv.conf file (via reverse-DNS lookups or DHCP-supplied data).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.