Alps Electric touchpad and Fedora 15

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Fri Jun 24 11:32:19 UTC 2011

I am looking at 2 laptops with an Alps touchpad and Fedora 15 + Gnome 3:

1) Dell Inspiron 1764 with Intel Core i5-430M
2) Dell Vostro 3750 with Intel Core i5-2410M (Sandy Bridge)

1) is almost 2 years older than 2) so I suspect the same goes
for the Alps Electric touchpad.

On both laptops the Alps is "recognized" as a PS/2 mouse.
In general this works good though I have not checked if
all the functionality of the touchpad is available.

My question concerns the entry "Mouse and Touchpad" under
"System Settings" (gnome-control-center).

In 1) clicking on this icon gives you a configuration window
with entries for mouse AND touchpad (with rather skimpy options).

In 2) clicking on this icon ONLY shows a mouse configuration window.

Why this difference? It also shows up in the hardware listings.
On 1) I find PS/2 mouse AND Alps. On 2) I only see PS/2 mouse.

Newer Alps? Sandy Bridge?

Alexander