Excessive system usage problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 24 11:38:39 UTC 2011

        I have a home LAN and limited internet access. If I exceed the
        usage specified in my subscription my data rates are slowed.

        There are a dozen devices that can connect to the internet and
        five or six people using them. yesterday someone left something
        running and by the time I realized the problem we had used more
        than a gigabyte which doesn't sound like much if you have
        unlimited usage but we only get 17 gigs per month.

        I shut down the other computers but never identified which one
        had been causing the problem.

        Can someone suggest a way of measuring usage per device,
        identifying them by address, MAC, or uuid? I really need to know
        which one is the offender to control the problem.

        Bob