F15 fails to suspend/hibernate on Thinkpad W510+

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 14:43:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:18:14AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Darryl L. Pierce <dpierce at redhat.com> said:
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ pm-is-supported --suspend
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ echo $?
> > 0
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ pm-is-supported --hibernate
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ echo $?
> > 0
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid
> > (mcpierce at mcpierce-laptop:~)$ echo $?
> > 1
> >
> > Though I'm questioning this last once since I tried to do:
> >
> > pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid && echo $?
> >
> > and it never showed the RC, telling me the command itself failed.
>
> Remember: exit code of zero is "success", non-zero is "failure".  It is
> inverted from common usage, but allows for multiple "failure" exit
> codes.

Right. The manpage for pm-is-supported says that a 0 exit code means the
feature _is_ supported, and 1 means it's _not_ supported. So in the
above case suspend and hibernate are (in theory) supported, yet both
result in my laptop being non-responsive. And in the last case the fact
that:

pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid && echo $?

fails to output the exit code tells me the arg is causing
pm-is-supported itself to fail.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/