Excessive system usage problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 24 17:42:12 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 13:08, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 07:38 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I have a home LAN and limited internet access. If I exceed the
>>          usage specified in my subscription my data rates are slowed.
>>
>>          There are a dozen devices that can connect to the internet and
>>          five or six people using them. yesterday someone left something
>>          running and by the time I realized the problem we had used more
>>          than a gigabyte which doesn't sound like much if you have
>>          unlimited usage but we only get 17 gigs per month.
>>
>>          I shut down the other computers but never identified which one
>>          had been causing the problem.
>>
>>          Can someone suggest a way of measuring usage per device,
>>          identifying them by address, MAC, or uuid? I really need to know
>>          which one is the offender to control the problem.
> Depending on your router, you *might* be able to query it using SNMP
> (Simple Network Management protocol), which is used to collect all kinds
> of statistics. I'm afraid I can't help you with the details, but start
> by checking if your router supports it.
>
> poc

        That may be part of my problem with logging. SNMP was disabled.

            SNMP
            SNMP
            Enable Disable
            Location
            Contact
            Name
            RO Community
            RW Community

        I wonder what it wants entered in "Location?" The router
        address, 192.168.1.1 ? I will try leaving it "Unknown" and see
        if it changes the NTOP data on the F-14 computer. DD-WRT also
        has a log display that has not been working, perhaps because SNP
        was not enabled. I've enabled it now. There are a lot of items
        to configure and not much helpful documentation.

        I may be grasping at straws here but it might help.

        Thanks,

        Bob
        .

.