cannot boot to F14

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Jun 24 22:55:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, jackson byers wrote:
>
>>> I messed up installing F14 and don't know how to fix it.
>>> What I had planned to do was reuse a /boot partition and put the rest
>>> in a single new partition I had already created for the purpose.
>>> I forgot about the /boot partition and I think I told it the
>>> wrong thing when it asked where to put the bootloader.confusing "reuse
>
>> # grub>
>> root (hd1,8)
>> setup (hd1,8)
>> quit
>>
>> this should install the bootloader on 1st sector of sdb9
>> reboot,
>> see if f14 boots
>
> Alas, F13.
> I suspect that the problem might be that putting a bootloader
> in (hd1,8) doesn't make the startup code (BIOS?) use it.

I tried adding
title chain14
 	rootnoverify (hd1,8)
 	makeactive
 	chainloader +1
to grub.conf .
When I tried to use it, I got
Error 18   : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

Could the problem with using my boot partition with my
F14 be that my F14 knows something else is /boot ?
Could I fix that by editing my F14's /etc/mtab ?

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.