Excessive system usage problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 25 00:21:40 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 13:58, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 06/24/2011 10:42 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>>

>>> Depending on your router, you *might* be able to query it using SNMP
>>> (Simple Network Management protocol), which is used to collect all kinds
>>> of statistics. I'm afraid I can't help you with the details, but start
>>> by checking if your router supports it.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>
>>          That may be part of my problem with logging. SNMP was disabled.
>>

>>              SNMP
>>              SNMP
>>              Enable Disable
>>              Location
>>              Contact
>>              Name
>>              RO Community
>>              RW Community
>>
>>          I wonder what it wants entered in "Location?" The router
>>          address, 192.168.1.1 ? I will try leaving it "Unknown" and see
>>          if it changes the NTOP data on the F-14 computer.
> "Location" is used to put in some user-defined text to help you
> identify where the device is physically, e.g. "Wiring closet 3" or
> some such.

        Good, I needed to know that. There are a few help files but none
        that area.

>>          DD-WRT also
>>          has a log display that has not been working, perhaps because SNMP
>>          was not enabled. I've enabled it now. There are a lot of items
>>          to configure and not much helpful documentation.
> Generally logging hasn't anything to do with SNMP. They're two different
> functions. If it's not logging, it may not be enabled in the router's
> configuration. It may be logging to an external system (like via syslog)
> so you might want to check that.

        I enabled SNMP and it made no observable difference as you say.
        I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the router. It takes
        a while for my ancient mental processes to catch up but I recall
        it logging something with a Netgear router although not to my
        satisfaction, never anything out of the log with this Linksys
        E3000. Hopefully something will cone from my query of the DD-WRT
        forum. If not I may consider putting back the original software
        it came with, I never tried that ... And I still have the
        Netgear router with dd-wrt installed.

        Thanks,

        Bob