Automatic notification of updates.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 08:23:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:18:01 -0500, AK (Aaron) wrote:

> I know this was asked but I don't remember an answer. What program in
> F14 cause that orange sun symbol to tell you updates are available but
> is not working in F15?
>
> I thought it was PackageKit but looking at its  web page I see that
> thats not it. Can this automatic update notification be done in F15 and
> what program does it?

It is working, but the default notification interval has been changed
to "weekly". Unless it's for security updates or so. And without proper
documentation about how exactly the various configuration values are
used, it doesn't become clear when it's working. For example, for me
the graphical configuration dialog said "hourly", but it doesn't let one
change the notification interval. I've changed several of the values
at the command-line after getting the list with

$ gsettings list-keys org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates
[...]

The "Missing PackageKit notification in GNOME Shell" thread on test list
(May 25) also gives a bit of background.