[OT] Spelling... [was: Re: where is gnomebreakpad]

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:14:47 UTC 2011

On 6/26/11 7:01 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Sure, but it's not possible to use them simultaneously, or have the machine
> decide which dictionary should be used for a given paragraph and switch to
> that one. Manually switching them is a pain, and just not worth the effort if I
> am mixing several languages in the same post.
>
> It is also impossible for the machine to know whether it is correct to say
> color or colour in the given context. And there are people who will bicker
> about it if I don't get it right (where the definition of "right" differs in US
> and UK, for example). ;-) Spell-checker is next to useless in these cases,
> again unless I manually select the proper dictionary.
If someone gets upset about this, they have way too much time on their
hands.  The 'or' versus 'our' is a long drawn out battle that most
people decide to leave alone.

I'm wondering if it will become, sometime in the future, possible to
write an article in OpenOffice like I do in Microsoft Word where I can
select the dictionary for only one word, if needed, and change
languages.  Not that I would try to embed Cyrillic into a Latin document
just to see what would happen.

BTW, someone decided that French was the language to use, and we are an
English only shop.  Led to interesting spelling 'errors' which were not.

James McKenzie