twm on F15

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jun 27 12:47:28 UTC 2011

On 27Jun2011 00:01, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
| Sorry for delay with response. I was on vacation since upgrading my
| wife_rc1 (aka bride) to wife.i386.rpm. That was nice trip to Turkey,
| Marmaris.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

| Thank you for clarification. I just tested it on F14 and now twm
| starts. It warn me about lack of dozen fonts but seems to be working.
| Actually problem was that I had to install xterm-261-2.fc14.x86_64 in
| order to start twm using either xinit or any other way you suggested.
| Tomorrow will test it on my F15 installation.

I keep forgetting that it's possible to install X11 without installing
xterm; xterm's the "standard" terminal program, somewhat like "sh" is
the standard command shell. You always expect it to be there, even if it
is not what you usually use.

As you say, a missing xterm will prevent your recipe from working.
You recipe is suited to running twm at need, for special purposes. But
for normal use it is rather tedious - exit X11 (telinit 3), then start
X11 again in a special way.

The recipe I outlined is suitable for when you want to change the
default X11 environment you get when you log in at the XDM (or GDM) GUI
login prompt.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Adalio Sanchez, a manager for IBM's ThinkPad division, said that one
popular spread sheet consumes nearly 100 percent of notebook power when
idle.