Fedora 13 End of Life - STILL can't update to F15

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Mon Jun 27 21:43:43 UTC 2011

On 27 June 2011 21:33, Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller
> Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> (It is working fine with F13).

While I can't offer you a solution (I've never used that Chipset), I
can tell you that this is what the problem is:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Controller_Hub
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMA_500#GMA_500

###################

GMA 500 support on Linux is not optimal. The driver is developed by
Tungsten Graphics, not by Intel, and the graphic core is not an Intel
one, but is licensed from PowerVR. This has led to an uncertain mix of
open and closed source 3d accelerated drivers, instability and lack of
support.
Ubuntu supports GMA500 (Poulsbo) through the ubuntu-mobile and gma500
repositories on Launchpad. Support is present for 8.04, 8.10, 9.04,
9.10 and in an experimental way for 10.04 and 10.10, but the
installation procedure is not as simple as other drivers and can lead
to many bugs.[76]
Joli OS, a Linux based OS optimized for netbooks, has a driver for the
GMA500 built in.
PixieLive, a GNU/Linux live distribution optimized for GMA500
netbooks, it can boot from USB Pendrive, SD Card or HardDisk.
Intel releases official Linux drivers through the IEGD (Intel Embedded
Graphic Driver) supporting some Linux distributions dedicated to the
embedded market.
GMA500 is capable of running well in Ubuntu 9.10 with Compiz visual
effects activated.[77]
In November 2009, the Linux Foundation released the details of a new,
rewritten Linux driver that would support this chipset and Intel's
other upcoming chipsets. The Direct Rendering Manager and X.org parts
would be free software, but the 3D component (using Gallium3D) will
still be proprietary.[78]

Poulsbo doesn't have good support, because it's one of the few
non-intel Intel-branded GPUs and it's not supported by the intel
driver.

--
Sam