problem in installation of software fedora 15

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:44:37 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 07:42 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 06:26 PM, JD wrote:
>> Are you aware that on F15, build of gedit from source
>> requires:
> [snip]
>
> Isn't the configure script supposed to check to see if everything's
> there?  Wouldn't it stop with an error if something were missing?  I ask
> because the OP said that when he ran ./configure it completed without
> error.  And, for that matter, if there weren't any errors, where was the
> Makefile it was supposed to create?
In short - yes and no - depending on how the configure script was
written/generated.

So, you did not answer Ed's question.
Where did you get the tarball?
And my question, why do you not get the source
rpm from the F15 repos?
If you get the source rpm from the F15 repos, you will be able to do:

rpmbuild -bp gedit.spec

If you have all the necessary deps (as I stated in the previous post),
the command should succeed.
Then, if you want to build using your kludgey and unnecessary
way of  manually running
./configure
and make
you will be able to
cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/gedit-{your-version}
and run ./configure and make.

Some packages do not want you to run make this way.
They require that you create an empty build dir and cd into
the build dir and then run
{PATH-TO-GEDIT-SOURCE-DIR}/configure
and then run make in the build dir.