problem in installation of software fedora 15

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:10:31 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 08:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 08:44 PM, JD wrote:
>> Some packages do not want you to run make this way.
>> They require that you create an empty build dir and cd into
>> the build dir and then run
>> {PATH-TO-GEDIT-SOURCE-DIR}/configure
>> and then run make in the build dir.
> Now there's a thought.  Was there a README file in the tarball?
Actually the README does state
  ./configure                                 # run the `configure' script
  make                                        # build gedit

But the errors the OP encountered are more than likely caused
by missing dependencies. That is why I alerted the OP about the
list of dependencies.

I had made the comment due to my exposure to other packages' way of
building,
and prior to looking at the README file.

At any rate, creating a build dir outside the source tree and running
the configure and make in the build dir serves to keep the source tree
pristine (if there is such thing :)