Support of 6g HHDs

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 28 20:14:33 UTC 2011

Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> Does or will Linux have software to support the new 6g hard drives and
> motherboards that have 6g ports on them?

WFM. I added a pair of 2TB drives on the last spare SATA posrt I had, and 6Gbit
seems to work ok, although there's no promise that your devices will drive it a
lot faster. If I can ever justify the cost I would like to use an SSD for my
system drive, and I'll go 6Gbit when/if I go at all. Not sure it will make a big
difference, but the price delta is likely to be even smaller by the time I do it.

Your answer is YES, it works now, fc14 and later at least, haven't tried with
anything older. Oh, and 4k hardware sectors work as well, although I haven't
benchmarked anything, the drives work, I set one up for someone the other day.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>