gnu linux update question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 29 03:04:14 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 10:51 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 10:13 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>> On 6/28/11 6:37 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>
>>> Works fine as root.
>> Usually ordinary users are prohibited from accessing /proc/<whatever>
>> from what I remember.  That is why root works and joe-blow does not.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>
> I'm totally fine with it - but seems to work for some - curiosity now.
>
> I wonder if those for whom it works are in group wheel or something -
> perhaps as my firstboot failed when systemd got its knickers in a twist
> with the luks passwords and firstboot and i915 graphics somehow first
> boot was a black screen .. dont recall now if f15 or f16 puts first user
> in wheel group - and if that matters at all.

I took a quick read of the python script....

It would seem that if one is not running as root it will check the PIDs
of the user invoking the command to see if any of those processes need
to be restarted.

I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
complete....lots of PIDs for that user.

I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in.  Completed very fast....only a
couple of PIDs.

Of course  an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever>  ....

cat /proc/cpuinfo   being one of many....