gnu linux update question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 29 03:21:43 UTC 2011

> Only if invoked with the '-u' option.

I said it was a "quick read"...  :-)

But, it is interesting that it runs fast under the KDE's user and quick
on the ssh user.  Neither of which is in the wheel group.

>> I ran it as a user running KDE....and it took several seconds to
>> complete....lots of PIDs for that user.
>>
>> I ran it as a user that had ssh'd in.  Completed very fast....only a
>> couple of PIDs.
>>
>> Of course  an ordinary user can access many /proc/<whatever>  ....
>>
>> cat /proc/cpuinfo   being one of many....
> Not relevant. Only /proc/[0-9]* are considered.

I should have clarified.   My statement was in the context of
/proc/<whatever> and not in what the script is looking at.  But, as you
say, even many of those are world readable.