About Fedora bugs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 29 12:53:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:11 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> People were saying that the same problem got the same message a year
> ago, but it said "Fedora 11" that time. So I have a suggestion, if no
> one in the support group looks at a bug in 180 days, close it with a
> DONTCARE status and tell the submitter that no one could be bothered
> to even look at the bug in half a year. And do the same thing if a bug
> sits in NEEDINFO for six months, if no one responds in that length of
> time they probably no longer care.

I have to wonder about some bugs, whether it's "don't care" or "don't
have a damn clue about programming correctly".

e.g. I submitted a bug, years ago, that was easily demonstrated, and
continued through about three different releases of Fedora, and probably
still exists.

Put the mouse pointer over a gadget that lets you use the scroll wheel
to change the value (e.g. sound volume controls), and the control works
the wrong way if it's a horizontally moving slider.

It's even more bizarre when you have dual controls for the same value,
as found in the GIMP.  Such as a horizontal slider to turn a colour
level up and down, with an adjacent number entry box with up and down
buttons.

Scroll the wheel up while over the number box, and the numbers go up.
Scroll the wheel up while over the horizontal slider, and the numbers go
down.

This is a user-interface error that was sheer stupidity in the first
place, and galling that it could continue for so long.  It affects all
applications that let you use the mouse wheel.

> Users have this unrealistic view that there is a queue of bugs and
> they get fixed in the order submitted. The truth is that if you don't
> hear in a month you probably won't ever hear unless someone else
> reports it and triage catches that they are dups.

In my case, others noticed the same thing (it's not an obscure error,
it's an obvious and consistent one).  And they re-opened the bug that
got closed off, before I got around to re-reporting it (with each of the
Fedora x has reached EOL epochs).

It's been closed off again, for an EOL reason.  And I can't install the
latest version, *yet*, to see if the issue still exists.  Circumstances
prevent it for the meantime.

One only hopes the same programmers don't work in the car industry...

The brakes don't work.
We'll fix that in the next model.
The brakes still don't work.

--