chown ??

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:18:39 UTC 2011

james tate wrote:

> On a backup drive /mnt/home/tom , I want to change all directories and
> files in tom to owner:tom .
>
> The drive is mounted but from /home the command  chown -R tom tom is not
> changing the directories and files to owner, tom .
>
> Command chown  -R tom:tom tom won't change the ownership in the
> directories and files in
> directory tom .

I kind of ran into that myself. /mnt is owned by root, so mounting user stuff
to that is always problematic.

My solution:

mount user stuff to /home/you/mountpoint.

Eg. I mount my Documents partition and my Backup partition to
/home/me/Documents and /home/me/Backup. This way, I am the owner and I don't
have to ???? with changing the ownership of /mnt/stuff.