Google Chrome browser and Kwallet

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 04:21:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:53 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 11:12 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > I just nstalled Google Chrome to test it. Immediately, it asked to open
> > Kwallet. I allowed it, and then I thought... Yikes! Should I have done that?
> >
> > Why does Google chrome need to see the contents of Kwallet even before I have
> > visited a web site and while all I am doing is configuring it? Is it looking at
> > other stuff I have stored in my wallet?
> >

> I don't think I would assume it is asking for your password in order to
> look for anything immediately.  It should just as easily be opening it
> to check that the structure it uses/needs exists and then create it if
> not.
>
> Are you concerned that Chrome maybe doing something evil?

$ google-chrome --help

[...]

--password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
              Set the password store to use.  The default is to automatically detect based  on  the  desktop  environment.   basic
              selects  the  built  in,  unencrypted  password store.  gnome selects Gnome keyring.  kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet.
              (Note that KWallet may not work reliably outside KDE.)

Maybe the autodetection is buggy. I know that on one installation I get
the nagging KDE Wallet window all the time (even when revisiting a page
I've been on before in the same session), while on the other I never see
it. Both are using KDE.

poc