SD card not seen by system after unmounting

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 7 13:35:04 UTC 2011

On 03/06/2011 12:49 PM, Gordon Charrick wrote:
> This is wierd. I've got a multicard reader installed on my Fedora 14
> system. If I insert an SD card, it gets recognized and mounted right
> away. If I unmount the card, remove it, and reinsert it, the system does
> nothing. No entries in the messages file about the device or anything.
> If I want to use the SD card again, I have to reboot.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this before? Ideas on how to debug the
> problem?
Dumb question - are you unmounting it, or using safely remove
hardware. In the later case, it is not uncommon for the entire
reader to be turned off.

For an external reader, you can unplug it, and plug it back in. For
an internal reader, you may be able to get it working again by
running, as root:

modprobe -r usb_storage ; modprobe usb_storage

If you have other devices using the usb_storage module, it is not
going to let you remove the module.

Mikkel