Separate /usr partition

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 04:32:27 UTC 2011

I just noticed that ever since Fedora 11 the Installation Guide
recommends against having a /usr partition separate from the root file
system (though as recently as Fedora 12 the Example Usage still showed a
separate /usr).  I've always used a separate /usr kept mounted read-only
except when necessary for updates.  I was wondering just what sort of
"boot process becomes more complex" issues I've been fortunate enough to
avoid, and whether the reasons for that recommendation have become
stronger in more recent releases.

                 Do NOT delete it.