Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Mar 10 23:06:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

>> The issue of what becomes what for purposes of comparison
>> is easliy settled by asking a genealogist.
>> Genealogists have been handling such problems for years.
>
> More focussed on time shifting (eg þ to th) but you could if you really
> wanted.
>
> You don't need to ask them however, librarians have been dealing with
> case, sort order and the joys of "How do I file a book with a mixed
> latin and greek title" long before the Columbus went yachting,

> For the joy of case conversion see Unicode Standard 6.0, UCB case
> mappings and the supporting Annex (#31 if I remember rightly). Assuming

Why?

>> > Ah but you see here is one of your problems. Do you want the question
>> >
>> > 	is RPM name A == RPM name B
>> >
>> > to depend upon locale ? Isn't that a bit of a hazard - imagine if you
>>
>> Only if one blindly relies on the answer.
>> I'd recommend against relying on fuzzy comparisons to do updates.
>
> Any locale dependant comparison is by definition not a single mapping
> across all systems. Any case ignoring comparison is locale dependant - the
> standards decree this.

So?

> So the only non fuzzy comparison you can rely on is a case dependant one.

Fuzzy is what is being asked for.

put every UTF character in its own bin
for U in UTF_characters :
     for Loc in Locales :
         for V in UTF_characters :
             if U and V match in Loc :
                 merge bin of U with bin of V

For fuzzy matching purposes, characters in the same bin match.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.