Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 03:07:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I´m certainly tired of dictators that decree when a given discussion
> has been going on "for far too long" and thinks his viewpoint is
> "obviously correct", and that user-hostile messages to enforce proper
> capitalization of a package name conforms to some sort of Correct
> World View, and that offering the end user the option of a correctly
> capitalized package name, so that the user only needs to answer "y"es
> instead of re-typing the command is something that wouldn´t be
> actually an improvement.

[Well I think that sentence went on for far too long.]

"Did you mean such-and-such?" is not a user-hostile message when
compared to simply telling the user that the specified package doesn't
exist. Seriously, given the low-level nature of RPM and YUM, I'm
impressed that it makes a suggestion at all.

In any case, you're exaggerating the current situation somewhat. There
is little need to "re-type the command" when you have a perfectly
serviceable up arrow on your keyboard.

-Alan