Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:21:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 03:40, Mike Williams <dmikewilliams at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Can you prove there are none ?
> >>

> > There are two in the f13 repos:
> >
> > php-pear-Auth-radius.noarch
> > php-pear-Auth-RADIUS.noarch
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Thanks, Mike. I cannot confirm that on the only Red-hat based machine
> I have available at the moment, CentOS 5.5. Can you check if those are
> actually the same package?

They are definitely different.

-rw-r--r--. 1 mike mike 12932 Feb 26  2010
php-pear-Auth-RADIUS-1.0.6-4.fc12.noarch.rpm
-rw-r--r--. 1 mike mike 6344 Feb 26  2010
php-pear-Auth-radius-1.6.1-10.fc12.noarch.rpm

After downloading them, I realized that yum info would provide more
information and would have been easier.

Note that yum info is case insensitive ;-)

Personally I like the fact that the info command is case insensitive and the
install command demands the exact name.  The install command has the
potential to cause major problems.  I prefer that it does exactly what I
tell it and complains if I don't get it right.

yum info php-pear-Auth-radius.noarch

Available Packages
Name        : php-pear-Auth-RADIUS
Arch        : noarch
Version     : 1.0.6
Release     : 4.fc12
Size        : 13 k
Repo        : fedora
Summary     : Wrapper Classes for the RADIUS PECL
URL         : http://pear.php.net/package/Auth_RADIUS
License     : BSD
Description : Wrapper Classes for the RADIUS PECL.

Name        : php-pear-Auth-radius
Arch        : noarch
Version     : 1.6.1
Release     : 10.fc12
Size        : 6.2 k
Repo        : fedora
Summary     : RADIUS support for php-pear-Auth
URL         : http://pear.php.net/package/Auth
License     : PHP
Description : This package adds a RADIUS container for the PHP Auth system.

Cheers,

Mike