Memtest mystery

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Mar 13 15:38:10 UTC 2011

compdoc wrote:

>> Can memtest86 actually throw up errors on good modules?
>

> I run memtest86+ on every computer I service. Memory errors are rare, but
> they do happen and the computer tends to crash, etc. when they are
> happening.
>
> If memtest was finding errors on good modules, which are installed in
> computers that don't have crashing problems, I think I would be seeing
> that.

OK, thanks.
That is indeed exactly what I would have expected.

I've only run this machine for a couple of hours
since sorting out the problem, but it seems to be running OK.

Also, Fedora-14/KDE Live CD seemed to run fine, as did Knoppix-6.

Could this happen if there was faulty memory?

I was wondering if memtest86+ could run at a faster speed than desired,
or something like that?

However, I'm following your experienced advice,
and ordering a new memory module.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net