automatic menus for window managers

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:52:33 UTC 2011

I am currently using a full desktop environment (Gnome) but am
considering using instead a window manager. There are dozens of them
around, so I have been exploring and comparing.

I noticed that for many of the window managers that I install in
Debian (examples: fluxbox, openbox, awesome) there is an application
menu tree that can be easily accessed with the mouse from the desktop,
and this tree has - as far as I can tell - the same applications in
the Gnome menu, though usually organized differently.

If I install the same window managers in Fedora I do not get the menu
tree. I like the way things work in Debian because this means less
work is needed in creating menus for some rarely used applications
(for programs that I use often I don't mind spending some time to
create some sort of launcher).

I tried to understand how the window managers in Debian get the
application menus. It seems that it all happens as result of a Debian
package called "menu", which keeps the menus automagically up-to-date
for the window managers that bother to look at them with tools such as
"update-menus" and "install-menu".

I looked through Fedora packages and I have not found anything
equivalent, but maybe I missed it. Any ideas?