X won't start - segmentations fault

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 21:56:53 UTC 2011

     Hello,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 01:38 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>    I installed fedoraplus, but can't find the option that installs
>> kmod-nvidia. Which is it? Thanks!
>
> Has Dangermouse removed that?  I hadn't known.  In that case, go here
> and follow the appropriate instructions:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

  Thanks! Kernel option rdblacklist=nouveau was the key. Now X is
running again. With a new nVidia splash screen.

  Only: it dropped to a rediculously small resolution. After the usual
long struggle with the display tool [1], I got a higher resolution,
but still considerably less than I had before.

     Take care
     Oliver

  [1] "Hah! I'm the evil Fedora display tool! Your card is still
unknown even though you just selected nvidia and clicked 'OK'! Just
because you selected the monitor resolution to be 1680x1050 does not
mean you can actually select that resolution as a mode! You always
have to log out for any effect and whenever you close me I will always
forget everything you entered! And just to annoy you I will fall back
to 640x480 once in a while for no apparent reason! I have not changed
since Fedora 6 and probably never will!"

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)