[OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 22 12:23:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 12:18 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I disliked the panel-on-top with gnome-shell; the first thing I always
> do under older GNOME is move the top panel to the right and set the
> bottom panel to auto-hide.  Wtih 16x{9,10} monitors, vertical screen
> space is the premium.

I think with all monitors, screen space is premium.  But I find hiding
taskbars a pain, as it turns a "quick do something through a menu," into
a slower "wait for menu to appear, before I can do anything."

Having at least one task bar always around makes menus quicker, and you
can just look at the thing for some status indicators, because it's
always there (clock, network, whatever).  It certainly occupies less
space than silly desktop applets for a clock/calendar, which are nearly
always behind your window, if you're not wasting a big strip of screen
space to keep them always visible.

Emulating the sodding Windows start menu (browse up and sideways), in
KDE was something that really annoyed me, plus that huge fat taskbar.
Mousing is a really un-ergonomic thing, at the best of times, but that
made you use the mouse in the most difficult way possible.

The only screenshots that I managed to see of the new Gnome 3 makes it
look like they're copying the sugar desktop, or the old Mac launcher.
Where you have a series of whacking great big icons for your most used
applications wasting screen space, and you had to do a lot of messing
around to get to /other/ applications.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686