Linux on ARM tablets?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:05:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only people who can realistically target tablets are the ones with
> commercial backing and a business plan.  It is not a market where a
> volunteer community can easily thrive in.  It requires custom built
> kernels,  patching all over the stack etc and since Red Hat is not
> interested,  it is unlikely to happen IMO.

If you shoot down the idea from the start, obviously it won´t happen.

I think a team of 4-5 people could buy the 2 or 3 most popular tablet
models, or at least the ones getting the most press reports (I´d stay
away from Apple)... HP, RIM, Samsung, and build Fedore for those.

For me, it´d be a good promotion for the OS and brand mindshare, even
if the firm doesn´t directly make money of it. Hint: provide a
"donations" button.

And one day, if the project makes good progress, tablet makers might
even decide to preload Fedora on their tablets as an option, and THEN
RedHat can charge the firm for support and continued development.

But nothing of this would happen until someone does the first step...

FC