My DVD reader doesn't always load....

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 11:25:01 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I appear to have a problem with my DVD reader (Gigabyte Technology 16x16
DVD rw/r).  When I put a dvd in the tray, sometimes the DVD title comes
up in the "recent device" window, sometimes nothing.  When "nothing"
comes up, sometimes the tray is locked & I can't get the disc out again.
  I have a pair of DVDs, produced in Germany, one plays, the other
doesn't.....

If the disc loads, sometimes I can play it with Kaffeine, sometimes I
have to use Bangarang, because Kaffeine doesn't see any start point on
the disc.....

Then one time, Bangarang plays one disc; when I try to play a second one
it crashes....

Anyone got any suggestions on how to try and debug this little lot?????

As ever, many thanks for any help you can give me!!!!

Cheers

Dave

uname -ar
Linux Fedora-Blue 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC
2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
KDE, MSI880GM-e41 with Phenom II X6 1075T