Cant get networking working in Fedora14

Gregory Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 23:08:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:49 PM, <reg at dwf.com> wrote:

> > On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:32 -0600, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> > > So, what's changed between Fedora11 and Fedora14, other than setting
> > > up the above files (or using system-config-network) what do I need to
> > > do???
> >
> > Have you configured Networkmanager?
> >
> Actually, my first attempt or two was with NetworkManager enabled.
> But, since ive never had any luck with it, I turned it off (in
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d)
> and have been doing things by hand like I always have done.

I used to hate NetworkMangler also, but I has vastly improved in F14.

Try: (as root)
     1) chkconfig NetworkManager on
     2) service NetworkManager start
     3) right-click NetworkManager icon and select "Edit Connections..."
     4) select the "Wired" tab
     5) highlight the desired network device (e.g. System eth0)
     6) click the "Edit" button
     7) ensure "Connect automatically" (checkbox) is enabled
     8) set up the device characteristics in the various other tabs
     9) "Save" and "Close" out of the Edit Connections dialogues
    10) Click the NetworkManager icon and (if necessary) select the device
to activate

The device should come up and be active.

If you absolutely don't want to use NetworkManager, ensure that the plain
old "network" service is active.

     1) chkconfig network on
     2) service network start

Hope this helps.