F14 scanner no longer recognised!

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:17:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM, james tate <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/30/2011 04:08 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> Until a few months ago my scanner attached to the usb port on my
>> machine was working fine under F14.
>>
>> It needed a simple:
>> Add two lines to /lib/udev/rules.d/65-libsane.rules under the Samsung Lines:
>>
>> # Samsung SCX-4500W
>> ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="342b", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
>>
>> and then firing up the Gimp I could scan immediately - however I have
>> not used the scanner for a few months and today when I needed it there
>> it is not recognised.
>>
>> I tried (as root):
>>
>> sane-find-scanner - and it gives:
>>
>> "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.],
>> product=0x342b [SCX-4500W Series]) at libusb:001:002"
>>
>> but yet:
>> "[root at home1 ~]# scanimage -L
>>
>> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages)."
>>
>> My original config is still as it was (I checked) - and also the
>> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf still contains the "xerox_mfp" entry at the
>> bottom that used to be needed.
>>
>> I also made selinux permissive in case that was the issue - and it was
>> the same -
>>
>> Does anyone know if something has changed in F14 recently that may
>> have been the cause of this change to scanner recognition - or a way
>> to work around this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> I have a Samsung printer and if you used the Samsung drivers Selinux
> will give you headaches . It won't let the printer print.
>
> It appears that the USB port has found the Samsung printer, As SU do a
> setenforce 0; fixfiles -F restore; setenforce 1; reboot
>
> If that does not work do a reinstall of drivers.
> I had to do a  su- to get the drivers to install correctly .

Firstly this thread is about the scanner function of this
multi-function printer - the printing function works perfectly well
and has done for a long time using the .ppd file from the Samsung
driver package. That is the only file I need from the samsung package
to get the printer to work - and there is a web page describing how to
set it up at http://userbase.kde.org/Troubleshooting/Samsung_scx-4500W

Printing works fine with selinux enforcing in F14, and prior to recent
updates the scanning function was fine too - I believe that your
selinux commands are completely unnecessary to get the printer section
of this multifunction printer to work just fine.

Prior to recent updates to sane-backends (which I note from Bodhi were
pushed with only autoQA and not with testing by a real user!) it was
necessary to add the definition line to the file
/lib/udev/rules.d/65-libsane.rules and then reboot the machine and
then the scanner function also worked fine - however this post is
about what has broken since the recent updates to the sane-backends
package was released, and one of the recent additions was to add in
support for this printer. It is since these changes that the scanner
part of the system does not work any more.  By the way I have never
had any issue with selinux stopping this printer from working for both
printing and scanning until this recent change.

If anyone knows whether there is a work-around I would love to hear it
(by the way the copy function of the printer works as normal, so the
scanning hardware is working so I can rule out hardware failure at
this stage) and all other functions including network access appear
normal. I am hoping that there will be a suggestion of a test I can
run for further diagnostics in the bugzilla report so that this can be
progressed to a point that a fix can be put in place to whatever has
broken in the sane-backends package.

--
mike c