Where did gdm-{restart,stop} go?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:24:59 UTC 2011

Ok, on my MythTV box I would occasionally get freezes where
Ctl-Alt-Backspace would not work, or I'd get a call from the wife and
need to restart X remotely from work.

On Fedora 10 I found a handy command, gdm-restart which worked quite
nicely. After upgrading to F12 it was gone, then I found gdm-stop
which seemed to do the same thing. Now that I'm on F14, neither
command is available and I haven't found a suitable replacement.

Of course init 3 && init 5 will get the job done but it causes
unnecessary stop and starting of services.

Thanks,
Richard