UPnP vs. Fedora 14 firewall

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Mon May 2 14:32:29 UTC 2011

On 05/02/2011 10:23 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
>> I have several different services on my network that use UPnP, and none
>> of them seem to work unless I disable the Firewall on my Fedora 14
>> desktops/laptops.  Everything I've read says that I should be able to
>> allow UDP on port 1900, but that doesn't seem to help.  Can anyone tell
>> me or point me to documentation about what I need to enable to let my
>> Fedora 14 machines to see the services via UPnP?
> UPnP stands for many different things. Which in particular are you
> trying to use?
>
> IGP? Media server? Media render? etc.
As a starting point, I am attempting to discover services via SSDP.  If
I have the firewall enabled, and I run upnp-inspector, I see no
services.  No matter what combination of settings I have tried, I never
see any services via upnp-inspector.  If I disable the firewall and
immediately rediscover services in upnp-inspector, I will instantly see
my printers, my media server, etc.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if
the services didn't work without extra ports open, but I cannot even see
them to attempt to use them.

Thanks
Mike