Increasing disk size of FC14 image running under Win7

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:06:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 13:14 -0400, Tod Thomas wrote:
> > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> > <pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> > > That can't de right. No way does the boot partition need to be 7GB.
> More
> > > like 500MB. Do you mean the root partition? If so, try saving space by
> > > moving /var/cache/yum to a different partition and leaving a symlink in
> > > its place.
> > >
> > > poc
> > >

> > I typed GB but meant MB:
> >
> > Running rpm_check_debug
> > Running Transaction Test
> >

> > Transaction Check Error:
> >   installing package kernel-2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686 needs 7MB on the /boot
> > filesystem
> >
> > Error Summary
> > -------------
> > Disk Requirements:
> >   At least 7MB more space needed on the /boot filesystem.
> >

> > /dev/sda1              49M   26M   21M  57% /boot
>
> You also misstated the error message. It wants 7MB *more* on the /boot
> partition (not "at least 7[M|G]B").
>
> You can recover space by deleting older kernels (e.g. kernel, System.map
> and initramfs files in /boot for versions except the previous one). The
> installation process can't know how many kernels you're going to want to
> keep which is why it can't guess how much space you might need. Do this
> using yum: yum remove kernel-<version> ("yum list kernel" to get current
> values of <version>)
>
> Also take a look at the "installonly_limit" value in /etc/yum.conf and
> reduce it e.g. from 3 to 2. This will tell yum to keep only two kernels
> (current and previous).
>
> If you decide to increase the size of /boot, put it up to 500MB or even
> 1GB to avoid issues, especially if you intend to use preupgrade in the
> future.
>
> poc
>
> --

Thanks Patrick - asleep at the wheel I suppose.  I booted with gparted and
bumped up the boot partition size along with root.  I had already added 10GB
to the VM via VirtualBox tools so I think I should have plenty now.  Will
follow up after everything is settled.

- Tod