xterm vs gnome terminal

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:14:36 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I use cscope often for quick "search and fix" activities :)

cscope lets the user to set up
and env var called VIEWER in order
to pop a separate window in which to view/edit the file
which the selects from the list of files found.

My VIEWER env var has been set for a long time to a shell
script which invokes an xterm as follows:
$ echo $VIEWER
/home/jd/bin/viewer

$ cat /home/jd/bin/viewer
#!/bin/sh
xterm -fn 12x24 -bg white -fg black -e vi $* &

How can I replace xterm with gnome-terminal?

I tried to simply change xterm to gnome-terminal
but gnome-terminal does not recognize the args
and never executes vi on the file selected.

Thanx for any hints, tips....etc.