xterm vs gnome terminal

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 23:18:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/11 14:09, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> On 02May2011 13:14, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> | $ cat /home/jd/bin/viewer
>> | #!/bin/sh
>> | xterm -fn 12x24 -bg white -fg black -e vi $*&
>> |
>> | How can I replace xterm with gnome-terminal?
>> |
>> | I tried to simply change xterm to gnome-terminal
>> | but gnome-terminal does not recognize the args
>> | and never executes vi on the file selected.
>>
>> I discovered to my horror several years ago that gnome-terminal wants to
>> use "-x" where xterm and most other terminals use "-e".
>>
>> Have a look at "man gnome-terminal" for specifics.
>>
>> But try this:
>>
>> gnome-terminal -bg white -fg black -x vi ${1+"$@"}&
>>
>> ALso note the change of $* - your origial script will break if you get files
>> with whitespec in their names.
>
> When I tried it I got this message:
>
> Failed to parse arguments: Unknown option -bg
>
> Also, there is no man page for gnome-terminal on my F14.

You can set up a profile with white bg and black fg and then call it
with "--window-with-profile=PROFILENAME]" or
"--tab-with-profile=PROFILENAME".

For the command, from the man page:

-e, --command=STRING
                 Execute the argument to this option inside the terminal.

-x, --execute
                 Execute  the  remainder  of  the  command  line  inside   the
                 terminal.