xterm vs gnome terminal

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue May 3 06:26:55 UTC 2011

On 02May2011 19:18, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
| > On 05/02/11 14:09, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| >> gnome-terminal -bg white -fg black -x vi ${1+"$@"}&
| >>
| >> ALso note the change of $* - your origial script will break if you get files
| >> with whitespec in their names.
| >
| > When I tried it I got this message:
| >
| > Failed to parse arguments: Unknown option -bg
| >
| > Also, there is no man page for gnome-terminal on my F14.
|
| You can set up a profile with white bg and black fg and then call it
| with "--window-with-profile=PROFILENAME]" or
| "--tab-with-profile=PROFILENAME".
|
| For the command, from the man page:
|
| -e, --command=STRING
|                  Execute the argument to this option inside the terminal.
|
| -x, --execute
|                  Execute  the  remainder  of  the  command  line  inside   the
|                  terminal.

Try the -x variety without the -fg and -bg options.
The -x will faithfully preserve your filenames even if they have weird
characters in them. Your -e version won't.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Swords on armor ring, making spirits bright,
      What fun it is to laugh and sing
          a slaying song tonight!
        - Curt Howland "Ace" DoD#0663  EGFC#011  EFF#569
          howland at Priss.com                '82 V45 Sabre