PDF manipulation software

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 3 14:26:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 10:15 -0400, Rich Mahn wrote:
> I have dozens of PDF files containing a few thousand scanned images that I need to organize.
> I am looking for suggestions for PDF software that will:
>  -  rotate pages, groups of pages, or entire PDF files
>  -  re-order pages
>  -  move/copy pages from one PDF file to another
> without re-imaging (or whatever the term is) so as not to degrade the images.
----
pdftk can do this...

DESCRIPTION
       If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic
staple-remover, hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and
X-Ray-glasses.  Pdftk is a simple tool for doing everyday things with
PDF documents.  Use it to:

       * Merge PDF Documents
       * Split PDF Pages into a New Document
       * Rotate PDF Documents or Pages
       * Decrypt Input as Necessary (Password Required)
       * Encrypt Output as Desired
       * Fill PDF Forms with X/FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
       * Generate FDF Data Stencil from PDF Forms
       * Apply a Background Watermark or a Foreground Stamp
       * Report PDF Metrics such as Metadata and Bookmarks
       * Update PDF Metadata
       * Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
       * Unpack PDF Attachments
       * Burst a PDF Document into Single Pages
       * Uncompress and Re-Compress Page Streams
       * Repair Corrupted PDF (Where Possible)
----
> Also desirable but not necesary would be:
>   -  the ability to add indexes/tables of contents
>   -  annotation/notes as an adjunct on the page
>
> What possibilities are available for Fedora?  or even Windoze?  (I can run
> Windoze under a VM, or possibly even use wine, depending on the software.)
----
possibly pdfedit

Craig

believed to be clean.